History of Ewell Veterinary Centre
In 1944, Olga Uvarov, formerly a Russian refugee, set up her practice in Langton Avenue after having qualified as a vet in London, being one of only 34 new female vets in 1934. Her clients included Wimbledon greyhound stadium and the RSPCA clinic.
In the early 1950s, she began working in the pharmaceutical industry and in 1976 she became the first female president of The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. She was appointed CBE in 1978 and DBE in 1983. Read more about her here.
Richard (Dick) Roper then had the surgery. He lived here with his wife and two brown Burmese cats and was an avid gardener. We have many of his old books and even some pieces of equipment on display at the surgery.
Robert McFarlane from Glasgow, bought the surgery in 1976 and spent 20 years treating Ewell’s pets. His family lived in the house and have many happy memories of their years here. Bob’s son Grant is also a vet.
Receptionist Nicky started work at the surgery when she was 16 whilst Mr Roper was here. She only finally left us in 2011 after 40 years’ service! Many Veterinary Nurses have completed their training with us over the years.
Mr McFarlane retired in 1996 when Peter Melville, John Ball and Craig Hainen bought the practice. They carried on under the name McFarlane and Associates and Bob passed away in 2016.
In 2008, we rebranded as Ewell Veterinary Centre and Peter and John continue to oversee us, continually updating the facilities and equipment to ensure an excellent service to the Ewell community and their pets.